For this benchmark, write a 750-1,000 word narrative about a cross-disciplinary unit you would implement in your classroom. Choose a minimum of two standards, at least one for the content area of your field experience classroom and at least one supportive literacy standard to focus on for the unit narrative. You may use your Topic 3 “Instructional Strategies for Literacy Integration Matrix as a guide to inform this assignment.”
Your narrative must include:
- Unit Description and Rationale: Complete description of unit theme and purpose, including learning objectives, based on the content area standards and literacy standards.
- Learning Opportunities: Description of two learning opportunities that create ways for students to learn, practice, and master academic language in content areas
- Collaboration: Description of how you would facilitate students’ collaborative use of current tools and resources to maximize content learning in varied contexts
- Support: Description of support that would be implemented for student literacy development across content areas
- Differentiation: Description of how the lessons within the unit would provide differentiated instruction
- Strategies: Description of strategies that you would use within your unit to advocate for equity in your classroom
- Cultural Diversity: Description of the effect of cultural diversity in the classroom on reading and writing development. Describe how the unit capitalizes on cultural diversity.