Mental health professionals hold grand rounds of events to maintain their current knowledge of health care practices and to consult with colleagues on particularly difficult cases.
During these professional events, mental health professionals sometimes present a case and seek feedback from peers regarding the conceptualization and treatment of a patient’s problems. This interactive assignment is an opportunity to simulate the event of a grand round. For your initial post in this forum, you will provide written feedback regarding your colleague’s presentation and questions. Your post must include the following:
- Provide an evaluation of the degree to which the presenter followed the ethical standards outlined in Section 4 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. of the APA’s Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct: Including 2010 Amendments.
- Highlight the relevant information from the patient’s history you will use to inform your conceptualization of the patient’s problems and diagnosis.
- Provide an evaluation of the patient’s symptoms and present problems within the context of a theoretical orientation that seems to be most appropriate for the situation. Be sure to indicate which theory you are using for your evaluation and provide a justification for your choice. To get the most out of this assignment, you are encouraged to use the same theoretical orientation from which you chose to write your Week Two Initial Assessment discussion’s guided response.
- Provide a diagnosis for the patient based on one of the diagnostic manuals available (e.g., DSM-5, Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual, etc.). Justify your choice of this diagnostic manual.
- Describe at least one evidence-based and one non-evidence-based treatment option for this diagnosis. Compare the benefits and costs of these treatment options.
- Based on specific theoretical and historical perspectives, provide questions for your colleagues seeking their thoughts and feedback.
- Pose appropriate questions that may help refine the diagnostic impression of this patient.
American Psychological Association. (2010). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: Including 2010 amendments (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site… Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Brewer, S., & Simpelo, V. (2014). PSY645 grand rounds presentation (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [Video file]. Ashford University: San Diego, CA.
DeFilippis, Melissa; Wagner, Karen. (2014, October). Pediatric Drugs.Management of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Children and Adolescents. Volume 16. Issue 5. Pp 353- 361. Ashford University On-Line Library.
First, M. B. (Ed.). (2013) DSM-5: Handbook of Differential Diagnosis. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing. DOI:10.5555/appi.books.9781585629992.mf00pre
Goldstone, Daniel. (2017, March). South African Journal of Psychology. Cognitive- Behavioral Therapy Versus Psychodynamic Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Depression: A Critical Review of Evidence and Current Issues. Volume 47. Issue 1. Pp 84- 96. Ashford University On-Line Library.
Putwain, David William. (2009, June). British Educational Research Journal. Assessment and Examination Stress in Key Stage 4. Volume 35. Issue 3. Pp 391- 411. Ashford University On-Line Library.