What does Dilthey mean when he uses the metaphor “blind window”? What is Dilthey’s view of personal bias in interpreting the written text?
Discuss the difficulties in employing hermeneutics as a scientific tool. Is this approach to interpreting text and action too vague and subjective, or does its subjective starting point offer certain advantages within psychological inquiry?
Original Research 10 Strategic Points Draft
In the prospectus, proposal, and dissertation there are ten key or strategic points that need to be clear, simple, correct, and aligned to ensure the research is doable, valuable, and credible. These points, which provide a guide our vision for the research. The ten strategic points emerge from researching literature on a topic, which is based on or aligned with, the defined need in the literature as well as the researcher’s personal passion, future career purpose, and degree area. You have practiced identifying the ten points in published studies, the next required skill is to define the ten points for an original as yet conducted research study. In this assignment, you will consider a potential gap in the literature that is emerging from your ongoing reading in your field of interest including the two specific articles you selected for the previous assignment, and you will draft the 10 Strategic Points for a potential dissertation research study based on that identified gap.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Important note: Successful completion of this assignment does not indicate that this topic and the related 10 Strategic Points have been approved for use as your dissertation research study topic.
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
Consider a potential gap in the literature that is emerging from your ongoing reading in your field of interest including no less than five specific research studies. Using the information from those research studies, state the potential gap that you identified and describe how it emerged from the studies you read.
Based on that identified gap, draft the 10 Strategic Points for a potential dissertation research study.
1. Hermeneutics and Psychology: A Review and Dialectical Model
Sandage, S. J., Cook, K. V., Hill, P. C., Strawn, B. D., & Reimer, K. S. (2008). Hermeneutics and psychology: A review and a dialectical model. Review of General Psychology, 12(4), 344-364. DOI:10.1037/1089-26220.127.116.114
2. Inquiry in the Pragmatic and Hermeneutic Traditions
Polkinghorne, D. E. (2000). Inquiry in the pragmatic and hermeneutic traditions. Theory and Psychology, 10(4), 453-479.
3. The Rise of Hermeneutics
Dilthey, W., & Jameson, F. (1972). The rise of hermeneutics. New Literary History, 3(2), 229-244.
4. Three Forms of Hermeneutics
Mooij, A. (2013). Three forms of hermeneutics. In Psychiatry as a human science (pp. 93-122). Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Boom.